Consumers, Companies & Businesses | Join worldwide conversations and discuss your products & services on Cosmetic Rumours

Login or Register to be part of the CR Global Network

Login to post your products and services

Easy Kitchen Remodeling Ideas?

Renovating & Building Forum
User avatar

Topic author United States of America
ShantelNordlund
Posts: 162
Joined: 19 December 2018
Eye Colour: S
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 72 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:24 am

Since last few months, I am thinking to renovate my kitchen, and in this regard, I've watched many DIY videos at various social networking sites as well. Here, I am going to share some ideas with you, and you guys and girls are welcome to correct me if I am planning something wrong. Here, we go:

First of all, I am going to install ready to use kind of cabinets that are usually used for the space-saving purpose as well. Sharing the image below to give you a better idea of it. However, I am not sure about the colour of the cabinets.

According to my husband, instead of replacing the entire cabinets, we can consider installing the cabinet doors and drawer fronts. I found these bespoke kitchen doors very attracting in this regard. They are almost available for all size of fittings and it is easy to find good door replacement for cabinets and wardrobes etc. But, we are only interested in kitchen stuff. It would be great if you share your views in this regard.

Image

I don't have any plan to do anything with plumbing things. However, I am thinking to clean my granite countertop and also thinking to install granite sealer on it. I found this list of 5 best granite sealers here https://graniteprotect.com/, but I am not sure which one is easy to apply without any expert's help. You can share your ideas if you've sealed your countertop during kitchen remodelling. Please also suggest me a good granite sealer. Keep in mind, we want to enhance the glow of countertop as well with enough protection against oil and water stains.

Image

Now, we talk about the wall paint. I am thinking to use a grey or similar colour of paint for walls with light brown kitchen cabinets, but my husband is in favour of grey kitchen cabinets with white wall paint. What would you suggest?

Image

Image

We are thinking to install LED strip lights to illuminate counter spaces. Also found this article https://www.ylighting.com/blog/how-to-light-a-kitchen/ very useful in this regard but you can give me more ideas in this regard.

What more should I do? Share your ideas and pieces of advice with me.


The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart
User avatar

Great Britain
maddison-jackson
Posts: 36
Joined: 06 October 2018
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:09 pm

I know myself that flat pack kitchens are a lot of work to put together although the benefit was saving money on having a custom kitchen made by a cabinet maker. That said you need to make sure that they are assembled properly. Granite is very heavy to lift if you're reusing the granite and installing new cabinetry. The problem with cabinets is that they're all made from particle board which swells if wet. You need a quality laminate because it can peel and discolour. Get a polyurethane finish on it so cleaning is easier.

Personally I think that the gray kitchen cabinets would look better than brown. You can match anything with neutral colours and neutrals are very modern like with the second last image you posted.


User avatar

United States of America
eloisej
Posts: 53
Joined: 22 September 2018
Eye Colour: O
Hair Colour: P
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:41 am

You have to check the type of granite that you own as polished black granite is denser and doesn't need sealing with its polished finish. It will not absorb the sealer. It's argued whether honed black granite should be sealed.

The other very porous types of granite have to be sealed. Look up the lemon juice test for counter tops, it's a way to understand how porous and acid sensitive your counter top is.
https://restorationstoneworks.com/tips- ... uice-test/



Great Britain
CaseyStyled
Posts: 26
Joined: 15 March 2019
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:32 pm

My family friend made a huge mistake when she replaced her whole kitchen except for the floor. The kitchen itself was beautiful and modern with blues and greys and dark accents but the floor was a dated beige. After the renovation she couldn't understand why her kitchen looked so wrong then she said that a relation commented on her floor. She had a huge wtf moment and was so upset afterwards. Honestly it did help her since she is now going to have the floor ripped up and redone with timber while trying to preserve the cabinets if she can. I wish she showed me her kitchen plans beforehand. I work with colours everyday and have a way of knowing, like a niggling suspicion, when it isn't right.


✄ HAIRDRESSER + HAIR STYLIST | UK
Having a bad haircut can be quite traumatic! ~ Rachel Stevens

Works in a https://www.redken.co.uk/ salon.

Australia
BakeThisCake
Posts: 33
Joined: 17 June 2019
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:45 pm

Pick timeless kitchen colours or it'll look dated in no time. What's modern now will look tacky in 7 - 10 years.


User avatar

Topic author United States of America
ShantelNordlund
Posts: 162
Joined: 19 December 2018
Eye Colour: S
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 72 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:39 pm

maddison-jackson wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:09 pm
I know myself that flat pack kitchens are a lot of work to put together although the benefit was saving money on having a custom kitchen made by a cabinet maker. That said you need to make sure that they are assembled properly. Granite is very heavy to lift if you're reusing the granite and installing new cabinetry. The problem with cabinets is that they're all made from particle board which swells if wet. You need a quality laminate because it can peel and discolour. Get a polyurethane finish on it so cleaning is easier.

Personally I think that the gray kitchen cabinets would look better than brown. You can match anything with neutral colours and neutrals are very modern like with the second last image you posted.
Thanks for your thorough opinion. I am also in favour of grey. If granite is heavy as countertop then what is about to give a makeover to the existing countertop with removable marble looking sheets. However, I don't know where I can get them.


User avatar

Topic author United States of America
ShantelNordlund
Posts: 162
Joined: 19 December 2018
Eye Colour: S
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 72 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 pm

CaseyStyled wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:32 pm
My family friend made a huge mistake when she replaced her whole kitchen except for the floor. The kitchen itself was beautiful and modern with blues and greys and dark accents but the floor was a dated beige. After the renovation she couldn't understand why her kitchen looked so wrong then she said that a relation commented on her floor. She had a huge wtf moment and was so upset afterwards. Honestly it did help her since she is now going to have the floor ripped up and redone with timber while trying to preserve the cabinets if she can. I wish she showed me her kitchen plans beforehand. I work with colours everyday and have a way of knowing, like a niggling suspicion, when it isn't right.
Then, you are welcome to suggest a good colour scheme for floor, countertop, cabinets and kitchen walls.


User avatar

Topic author United States of America
ShantelNordlund
Posts: 162
Joined: 19 December 2018
Eye Colour: S
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 72 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:43 pm

eloisej wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:41 am
You have to check the type of granite that you own as polished black granite is denser and doesn't need sealing with its polished finish. It will not absorb the sealer. It's argued whether honed black granite should be sealed.

The other very porous types of granite have to be sealed. Look up the lemon juice test for counter tops, it's a way to understand how porous and acid sensitive your counter top is.
https://restorationstoneworks.com/tips- ... uice-test/
Thanks for link and suggestion. However, what I should do to close pores without a sealer?



Great Britain
beautyboy
Posts: 110
Joined: 29 November 2018
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Status: Offline

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Install a large sink! :) It's too hard to wash frying pans in a small sink.

Be careful with kitchen lighting, particularly down lights in ceilings. So many house fires are caused those poorly installed downlights. I see articles in the paper about it all the time. I think it's the transformers that heat up and set fire to insulation or dust. Not sure about LED, if they have transformers, halogen I think.


User avatar

United States of America
sassyinpink
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 May 2019
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:55 pm

wow! nice kitchen! i was gonna remodel my kitchen and dining room too.

i am confused, can i ask whether any insurance is needed before remodeling? my friend sent me this blogger link on renovation insurance coverage

Do i still to get insurance just before remodeling? This is funny because i thought if there are any damage, isn't the company responsible for it? I still must pay extra to protect my home?


User avatar

United States of America
sassyinpink
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 May 2019
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:56 pm

fyi, my family and i will still be living while remodeling. can't take the hassle of moving short term.

and thanks so much for the kitchen photos, in the end, how many weeks did you plan for your remodeling?


User avatar

United States of America
eloisej
Posts: 53
Joined: 22 September 2018
Eye Colour: O
Hair Colour: P
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 13 times
Status: Offline

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm

ShantelNordlund wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:43 pm
eloisej wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:41 am
You have to check the type of granite that you own as polished black granite is denser and doesn't need sealing with its polished finish. It will not absorb the sealer. It's argued whether honed black granite should be sealed.

The other very porous types of granite have to be sealed. Look up the lemon juice test for counter tops, it's a way to understand how porous and acid sensitive your counter top is.
https://restorationstoneworks.com/tips- ... uice-test/
Thanks for link and suggestion. However, what I should do to close pores without a sealer?
Do you know the type of granite you have? Each had their own care instructions.



Great Britain
CaseyStyled
Posts: 26
Joined: 15 March 2019
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:51 pm

ShantelNordlund wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 pm
CaseyStyled wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:32 pm
My family friend made a huge mistake when she replaced her whole kitchen except for the floor. The kitchen itself was beautiful and modern with blues and greys and dark accents but the floor was a dated beige. After the renovation she couldn't understand why her kitchen looked so wrong then she said that a relation commented on her floor. She had a huge wtf moment and was so upset afterwards. Honestly it did help her since she is now going to have the floor ripped up and redone with timber while trying to preserve the cabinets if she can. I wish she showed me her kitchen plans beforehand. I work with colours everyday and have a way of knowing, like a niggling suspicion, when it isn't right.
Then, you are welcome to suggest a good colour scheme for floor, countertop, cabinets and kitchen walls.
I would select neutral colour schemes and chrome. These would fair the test of time better than the current "trending" colours and textures.

Image


✄ HAIRDRESSER + HAIR STYLIST | UK
Having a bad haircut can be quite traumatic! ~ Rachel Stevens

Works in a https://www.redken.co.uk/ salon.
User avatar

Topic author United States of America
ShantelNordlund
Posts: 162
Joined: 19 December 2018
Eye Colour: S
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 72 times
Contact:
Status: Offline

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:17 pm

The combination of both dark and light colours also looks good for the kitchen cabinets. I also found these kitchen paint schemes also useful in this regard:

Image


User avatar

Australia
iRory
Posts: 100
Joined: 04 May 2019
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 12 times
Status: Offline

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:12 pm

ShantelNordlund wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:17 pm
The combination of both dark and light colours also looks good for the kitchen cabinets. I also found these kitchen paint schemes also useful in this regard:

Image

Even a dark countertop and light cabinets is modern

Image

Image


Finding Destiny Book by Katrina Hart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic