Global Network

Login or Register to join worldwide conversations.

70th Anniversary of "1984" by George Orwell

Books Forum

Topic author Great Britain
Pendulux

Mon May 20, 2019 3:29 pm

For me, its a time to reflect on the 70th Anniversary of a modern classic - 1984.

It's a very grim book, even by today's standards, as it reflects the vicious cycle of modernism on the human soul.

Everything is a controlled environment, where human emotions are deeply suppressed and negativity rules the populace.

The book came up with several key concepts - such as Big Brother and thought crime - and its relevance to today's society is still discussed to this day.

What do you think? Have you read the book as well? If so, give me your thoughts.

The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart

United States of America
Archlistener

Mon May 20, 2019 4:07 pm

I loved that book. I had to read it for school. I wanted to use it for an assignment later on, but I got lower marks than the other students that read American books. I'll never forget that. I even called them out on that many years later, and they got quite aggressive as per usual of their character.

Australia
toones

Thu May 23, 2019 1:08 pm

I've seen the film adaptation. Absolutely brilliant. I liked how how Winston trudged through old objects to feel the beauty of the past.

Great Britain
MylesJacob

Thu May 23, 2019 6:51 pm

I read one of the other Orwell books called Animal Farm. I liked the story when I was a kid, but I never thought it represented something very political.

I should check out 1984. Gives me something to do.

Finding Destiny Book by Katrina Hart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic