Consumers, Companies & Businesses | Join worldwide conversations and discuss your products & services on Cosmetic Rumours

Login or Register to be part of the CR Global Network

Login to post your products and services

Drills in 2019? My DeWalt 20v has taken up smoking

Renovating & Building Forum

Topic author United States of America
Ilciryen

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 pm

I have a Dewalt Hammer Drill (DCD995) I bought it in 2014 and have been giving it a hard life ever since and only recently eased it's work load by purchasing a drill press. Last night I was drilling a 1-1/4" hole through 1/2" steel and my drill started a habit of smoking.

I have Milwaukee's 12v drills too but they don't cut it as far as torque goes and I only use them for tight spaces.

What are the best options in 2019 for battery drills?

I have Milwaukee and Dewalt batteries but I'd consider another brand if it's that much better.

Todd
The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart

United States of America
datsgucci

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:17 pm

Ilciryen wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 pm
I have a Dewalt Hammer Drill (DCD995) I bought it in 2014 and have been giving it a hard life ever since and only recently eased it's work load by purchasing a drill press. Last night I was drilling a 1-1/4" hole through 1/2" steel and my drill started a habit of smoking.

I have Milwaukee's 12v drills too but they don't cut it as far as torque goes and I only use them for tight spaces.

What are the best options in 2019 for battery drills?

I have Milwaukee and Dewalt batteries but I'd consider another brand if it's that much better.
Hi Todd

You'd at least need an 18V drill.

The higher the voltage = more torque to overcome resistance. The only downside is that 18V tend to weigh more.

Makita or Dewalt are better for heavy drill users (trades/hobbyists) whereas Ryobi is decent for the average user who needs to do occasional work around the house.

Then there's ergonomics, which is what you'd find more comfortable to hold.

Finding Destiny Book by Katrina Hart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic