Consumers, Companies & Businesses | Join worldwide conversations and discuss your products & services on Cosmetic Rumours

Login or Register to be part of the CR Global Network

Metal Vs. Plastic Dish Racks?

Interiors & Accessories Forum

Topic author United States of America
ShantelNordlund
Eye Colour: S

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:26 pm

Greetings!

My old dish drying rack has gotten rust, and I am planning to buy a new one but confused between the plastic and metal one. My mom is suggesting to get a plastic dish draining rack like this, but it still has metal prongs that could also catch rust anytime.

On the other hand, I am also planning to buy a premium quality stainless steel Sink Rack Dish Drainer from here. Though the price is a little high but I love its space-saving built and design.

What are your suggestions in this regard? You can also share your experiences as well.

The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart

United States of America
datsgucci

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:38 pm

ShantelNordlund wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:26 pm
Greetings!

My old dish drying rack has gotten rust, and I am planning to buy a new one but confused between the plastic and metal one. My mom is suggesting to get a plastic dish draining rack like this, but it still has metal prongs that could also catch rust anytime.

On the other hand, I am also planning to buy a premium quality stainless steel Sink Rack Dish Drainer from here. Though the price is a little high but I love its space-saving built and design.

What are your suggestions in this regard? You can also share your experiences as well.
Hi Shantel,

The overhead dish drying racks are a desirable option for more efficient kitchen space utilization. This is an excellent option providing your counter top joins are perfectly sealed and your counter is a durable waterproof material. Any broken seals creates vulnerabilities where leakages could seep through the counter gaps and swell the coated MDF. Gradually this could damage your kitchen cupboards, especially in circumstances where the dish rack doesn't drip directly into the sink and leaks water onto surrounding areas.

The self-contained drying racks, your mother suggested, do not always require a sink and can therefore be moved about the counter space or hidden in a nearby laundry area to dry plates. For this reason your mother's suggestion would be ideal. There are others that drain directly into the sink.

You can minimize the chance of rust and corrosion occurring by ensuring the dish rack material is stainless steel. Of course some stainless steels are more rust and corrosion resistant than others - specifically alloys 18% or higher in chromium which forms a protective barrier against rust.

You may be interested in the Simple Human steel frame dish rack. It's fingerprint-proof stainless steel. The plastic tray is angled and coated with a hydrophilic coating to prevent water from beading or puddling on the surface. Their product claims to be rust proof and has a swivel spout to drain water directly into the kitchen sink no matter how the dish rack is positioned.

Simple Human website.

https://www.simplehuman.com/steel-frame-dishrack

Canada
AlexMakeup
Eye Colour: A
Hair Colour: A

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:21 am

I have a pretty cheap and basic plastic dish rack around the sink. Haha it’s far from fancy... my only complaint is that smaller cups have fallen through the side of the dish rack and onto the floor. Make sure your sides are sold and not a mesh or anything with holes so this won’t happen

to and beyond

⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

Australia
seven8nine

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 pm

My $19 kmart dish rack is fine for the dishes. Fully functional then you always pay more for a decorative piece.

Australia
yaassmin

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:47 pm

I have the first dish rack. It's adjustable and you can expand your drying space to double. Looks nice too.

ShantelNordlund

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:19 am

Hi Shantel,

The overhead dish drying racks are a desirable option for more efficient kitchen space utilization. This is an excellent option providing your counter top joins are perfectly sealed and your counter is a durable waterproof material. Any broken seals creates vulnerabilities where leakages could seep through the counter gaps and swell the coated MDF. Gradually this could damage your kitchen cupboards, especially in circumstances where the dish rack doesn't drip directly into the sink and leaks water onto surrounding areas.

The self-contained drying racks, your mother suggested, do not always require a sink and can therefore be moved about the counter space or hidden in a nearby laundry area to dry plates. For this reason your mother's suggestion would be ideal. There are others that drain directly into the sink.

You can minimize the chance of rust and corrosion occurring by ensuring the dish rack material is stainless steel. Of course some stainless steels are more rust and corrosion resistant than others - specifically alloys 18% or higher in chromium which forms a protective barrier against rust.

You may be interested in the Simple Human steel frame dish rack. It's fingerprint-proof stainless steel. The plastic tray is angled and coated with a hydrophilic coating to prevent water from beading or puddling on the surface. Their product claims to be rust proof and has a swivel spout to drain water directly into the kitchen sink no matter how the dish rack is positioned.

Simple Human website.

I also found good reviews about Simple human Stainless stain rack even when I was searching at Google. Thanks for your recommendation. Have you used this brand?

ShantelNordlund

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:20 am

seven8nine wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 pm
My $19 kmart dish rack is fine for the dishes. Fully functional then you always pay more for a decorative piece.
Not looking exactly for a decorative piece but a durable one that shouldn't catch rust.

ShantelNordlund

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:23 am

AlexMakeup wrote:
I have a pretty cheap and basic plastic dish rack around the sink. Haha it’s far from fancy... my only complaint is that smaller cups have fallen through the side of the dish rack and onto the floor. Make sure your sides are sold and not a mesh or anything with holes so this won’t happen
I have already witnessed this issue that's why I don't want to make any mistake again. That's why I posted the stainless steel rack's picture here. I don't think it would create any issue because here, I can hang the glasses.

Canada
AlexMakeup
Eye Colour: A
Hair Colour: A

Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:24 pm

ShantelNordlund wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:23 am
AlexMakeup wrote:
I have already witnessed this issue that's why I don't want to make any mistake again. That's why I posted the stainless steel rack's picture here. I don't think it would create any issue because here, I can hang the glasses.
It should be fine if you have a double sink.

to and beyond

⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

United States of America
datsgucci

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 am

ShantelNordlund wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:19 am
Hi Shantel,

Simple Human website.

I also found good reviews about Simple human Stainless stain rack even when I was searching at Google. Thanks for your recommendation. Have you used this brand?
I haven't purchased this particular dish rack although I've used similar. I wouldn't mind one myself!

Finding Destiny Book by Katrina Hart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic