Consumers, Companies & Businesses | Join worldwide conversations and discuss your products & services on Cosmetic Rumours

Login or Register to be part of the CR Global Network

Amazon Wants To Help You Buy A House - Smart Home Technology

Electronics Forum

Would you equip your house with listening/watching smart devices?

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Possibly
No votes

Total votes: 5

Topic author Australia
bungalow

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Amazon is involved in a new collaboration called Turnkey. With 5 real estate turnkey-approved companies Amazon is providing $5,000 in Amazon credits which includes free smart home products like the Echo Dot and the Ring Doorbell Camera. I read that police networks have "partnerships" with Ring... we know where could be going...

Theoretically, the government can request evidence from a smart home device in any criminal investigation -- arson, auto theft, larceny and more. It’s especially true when it comes to placing someone in any given location, whether to corroborate or disprove an alibi. If you say you weren’t at home one evening, but stored recordings suggest you were in your living room telling Alexa to “please order pizza,” you’ll likely have some questions to answer.
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/322896

I wouldn't feel comfortable having any device listening to me, probably 24/7. Will this data be sold elsewhere? I believe that this data could be compromised and used for unknown purposes.

It's a no from me. Never.

The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart

France
technom

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 pm

All these different brand smart speakers out there are marketed as "helpful" assistants. I believe that in reality they're most likely learning about you, your personal life and habits such as

- When there's activity in the house (imagine if robbers got this information)
- Listening to private discussions and phone calls (imagine if payment card details were overheard)
- Your interests (probably for advertising)
- Your moods
- Your health
- Your opinions (algorithms for this)
- Private discussions
- Listening in on family members - possibly determining if toddlers are home... creepy

How do you not know that other people are listening live on the other end?

My vote is no.

United States of America
miajane
Eye Colour: D
Hair Colour: B

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:38 pm

noooooooooooo that's scary

As if id have a device connected to the internet listening in on me.

-
MiaMia

Australia
BakeThisCake

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:57 pm

Well apparently it gets worse this article on Bloomberg says Amazon Workers Are Listening to What You Tell Alexa.

"Amazon.com Inc. employs thousands of people around the world to help improve the Alexa digital assistant powering its line of Echo speakers. The team listens to voice recordings captured in Echo owners’ homes and offices. The recordings are transcribed, annotated and then fed back into the software as part of an effort to eliminate gaps in Alexa’s understanding of human speech and help it better respond to commands."

Great Britain
HaileyHall

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:15 pm

I couldn't handle that in my home.

Hailey !eyeshadow2

Australia
NewEclipse9

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:44 pm

I'm supervised all day at work. Why tf would I want to be monitored at home as well? Who on the face of this earth would go out of their way to install this in their house?

Australia
NewEclipse9

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm

technom wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 pm
All these different brand smart speakers out there are marketed as "helpful" assistants. I believe that in reality they're most likely learning about you, your personal life and habits such as

- When there's activity in the house (imagine if robbers got this information)
- Listening to private discussions and phone calls (imagine if payment card details were overheard)
- Your interests (probably for advertising)
- Your moods
- Your health
- Your opinions (algorithms for this)
- Private discussions
- Listening in on family members - possibly determining if toddlers are home... creepy

How do you not know that other people are listening live on the other end?

My vote is no.
Yep.

Cosmetic Rumours
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic