Consumers, Companies & Businesses | Join worldwide conversations and discuss your products & services on Cosmetic Rumours

Login or Register to be part of the CR Global Network

Login to post your products and services

Waterproof Phones | Best Advice | What You Need To Know About IP ratings

Mobile Phones Forum

Topic author France
technom

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:09 pm

I think there's so much confusion with waterproof phones. I've written this hoping it will help any of you who are buying a phone, or any device really, for it's waterproof or water resistant features.

Ingress Protection Rating

If you're buying a phone for its waterproof or water resistant features you need to check the ingress protection rating, also shortened to IP rating. IP ratings are a standard used internationally to classify the degrees of protection offered by enclosures of electrical equipment.

How it works

An example of an IP rating is: IP67

A rating consists of the letters "IP" followed by two numbers.

- The first number, 6, represents the protection provided against solid objects. This may be dust or fingers.
- The second number, 7, represents the protection provided against moisture.

Now let's see what the 6 and 7 means on the chart...

In greater detail

Of course this chart is a general guide, and doesn't specify too much detail. Wikipedia has more information on how long and how deep the object can be exposed to dust or submerged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

According to Wikipedia an IP67 device should be..

Dust tight.
No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight). A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow.

Immersion, up to 1 m depth.
Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion). Test duration: 30 minutes.

Tested with the lowest point of the enclosure 1000 mm below the surface of the water, or the highest point 150 mm below the surface, whichever is deeper.

Note

Even with its rating, it's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions. They may have additional information disclosed about the temperature of the submersion or any other information specific to that device.

The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart

Australia
iRory

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 pm

Top info technom. Still waterproof tech isn't "there" yet. Absolutely not game enough to dip a new $1200 in water because it says it's "waterproof".

Topic author France
technom

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:53 am

iRory wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 pm
Top info technom. Still waterproof tech isn't "there" yet. Absolutely not game enough to dip a new $1200 in water because it says it's "waterproof".
They have some resistance, if a drink bottle leaks in a backpack. Warm water in a kitchen sink - the seal wouldn't hold and the phone would die.

Australia
seven8nine

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:50 pm

In my opinion IP ratings for an iPhone mean nothing when Apple doesn't cover water damage.

Topic author France
technom

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:36 pm

seven8nine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:50 pm
In my opinion IP ratings for an iPhone mean nothing when Apple doesn't cover water damage.
It feels that way.

Belarus
pizixapyv

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:03 pm

The best piece of advice was about the waterproof phones that were available at this that you need to get know about these. I used to make some partition so I can write my research paper this will able to implant the services on these facts that were good to read on these parts that were good to maintain it.

Australia
BeccaKurtis

Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:31 pm

Thanks Technom! Nice info :) that i can check my devices against

--------
Just Becca !concealer !foundation !facep
Finding Destiny Book by Katrina Hart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic