Consumers, Companies & Businesses | Join worldwide conversations and discuss your products & services on Cosmetic Rumours

Login or Register to be part of the CR Global Network

choosing a mobile phone for kids

Mobile Phones Forum

Topic author Australia
toones

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:09 pm

I was discussing with my wife the other night that we should buy mobile phones for our children. They're ready to start catching buses to and from school now and that we've filled in the bus pass paperwork.

I'd like to install a family tracking app to see where they are in case of emergencies however this means the phone is complicated enough for them to download other applications...They're still young so I don't want them getting involved with social media, especially while they're impressionable or playing video games... or talking to strangers.

Is there a simple mobile phone that's tough for children that doesn't allow social media, games or anything harmful?

Thanks.

The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart

United States of America
influx

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:40 am

Dumb phones don't allow tracking... so you'd have to buy a normal android phone or apple iphone and enable parental controls. It should block off a majority of the adult features. Apple is quite strict and would be better for kids. You can block off safari, camera, facetime, apps, websites... until you only allow really basic stuff like clock and calendar, weather... stuff they might actually need.

Australia
Alphawolf

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:51 pm

You can have a simple candy bar phone like the new Nokia 3310 and a separate gps tracking device. A funky GPS wristband in their favourite colour won't be confiscated by a teacher or too noticable to other kids either.

Great Britain
HaileyHall

Fri May 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Shops have cheap flip phones for under $70. No social media apps are installed on them. Ask your kids to text you when they get to school.

Hailey !eyeshadow2

Australia
iRory

Wed May 08, 2019 3:21 pm

You want to use android family link

Canada
AlexMakeup
Eye Colour: A
Hair Colour: A

Mon May 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Those family tracking apps use data and data means internet access (free reign) uless you have very tough parental controls that prevent that and data blowout. I would say an iphone 6. Because they're kids get a good phone case.

to and beyond

⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

Topic author Australia
toones

Tue May 21, 2019 12:50 pm

influx wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:40 am
Dumb phones don't allow tracking... so you'd have to buy a normal android phone or apple iphone and enable parental controls. It should block off a majority of the adult features. Apple is quite strict and would be better for kids. You can block off safari, camera, facetime, apps, websites... until you only allow really basic stuff like clock and calendar, weather... stuff they might actually need.
Don't want them browsing the app store. Never knew apple had this feature. Really useful to know. Thanks.

Topic author Australia
toones

Tue May 21, 2019 12:56 pm

HaileyHall wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:15 pm
Shops have cheap flip phones for under $70. No social media apps are installed on them. Ask your kids to text you when they get to school.
I can't always rely on my kids to remember these things when they get distracted and their mind goes elsewhere. The old style keypads are slow. 40 presses when you could do 10.

Topic author Australia
toones

Tue May 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Alphawolf wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:51 pm
You can have a simple candy bar phone like the new Nokia 3310 and a separate gps tracking device. A funky GPS wristband in their favourite colour won't be confiscated by a teacher or too noticable to other kids either.

The wristband is a brilliant idea. Goes where they go.

Germany
lexiglossyxo

Fri May 24, 2019 2:46 pm

I found this simple GPS tracker and phone. They can't dial numbers that aren't programmed into it.

- The Worlds First 4G Kids GPS Tracker, Kids Cell Phone
- Parental Control - Calls & Texts ONLY To And From Numbers Programmed By Parents
- No Internet - No Apps - Your Kids Will Be Safe From Online Dangers.
- Touch Screen - SOS Button - Geo-Fencing - Location History
- Real Time Tracking - Voice Monitoring - & So Much More..

LEXI <3

United States of America
ShantelNordlund
Eye Colour: S

Sat May 25, 2019 3:40 am

I think you would have to give them smartphones but yes, there are several apps from which you can track their activity. By the way, what is the age of your kids? Maybe then we would able to give you the right piece of advice.

Topic author Australia
toones

Sat May 25, 2019 10:11 am

ShantelNordlund wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:40 am
I think you would have to give them smartphones but yes, there are several apps from which you can track their activity. By the way, what is the age of your kids? Maybe then we would able to give you the right piece of advice.
Thanks, I should have been clearer. They're aged 8 and 9 (going on 10 later this year). Still really too young for phones however I work and so does my wife now who has a new job and finishes past 3pm when school finishes.

Topic author Australia
toones

Sat May 25, 2019 10:13 am

lexiglossyxo wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:46 pm
I found this simple GPS tracker and phone. They can't dial numbers that aren't programmed into it.

- The Worlds First 4G Kids GPS Tracker, Kids Cell Phone
- Parental Control - Calls & Texts ONLY To And From Numbers Programmed By Parents
- No Internet - No Apps - Your Kids Will Be Safe From Online Dangers.
- Touch Screen - SOS Button - Geo-Fencing - Location History
- Real Time Tracking - Voice Monitoring - & So Much More..

This could do for my 8 yo. Thanks.

Cosmetic Rumours
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic