Consumers, Companies & Businesses | Join worldwide conversations and discuss your products & services on Cosmetic Rumours

Login or Register to be part of the CR Global Network

How do you tell a friend that their makeup looks bad?

Women's Beauty & Grooming Forum

Topic author Germany
lexiglossyxo

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Honest advice needed from the community here... how do I tell a friend her makeup is looking terrible? I believe friends should help friends. "oh you look great" to maintain the friendship is immoral.

Anyway, I saw contour on her cupids bow and highlighter smudged all over her chin. I can see she is trying to achieve the tanned look with foundation but the colour is by far the worst colour match I've seen.

I'm even finding it hard to comment on her Instagram since it's filled with these embarrassing looks. She is considering a makeup artist career... HELP

I care about her and don't want to hurt her feelings.

How should I communicate this to her?

Thank you girls and guys.

LEXI <3
The Flower Angel Book by Katrina Hart

Australia
simplymessy

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:40 pm

It's very difficult to be brutally honest without appearing nasty. If you soften and speak indirectly to her regarding awful makeup application she may not do anything about it or worse become offended that you're being indirect!

In this situation I wouldn't be direct or indirect. Instead I would say, "look at this excellent YouTube video, it shows the perfect places to apply highlighter." Sit down and do makeup together. Show her how its meant to be done. Be helpful and informative rather than critical and overbearing. :)

Australia
AllyMarshall

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Some people can't handle the truth. You may lose a friend.

Australia
Hayyleyy

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Do you need to tell her? If she's as "happy as a pig in mud" let her be................. :) It's a different story if she's walking around town with accidental toilet paper flopping from her skirt. That's social embarrassment.

Be yourself.

Australia
Claire_MUA
Eye Colour: B
Hair Colour: B

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:31 pm

SimplyMessy's approach is perfect imo. It's not acceptable to look the other way.

Topic author Germany
lexiglossyxo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:49 am

Claire_MUA wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:31 pm
SimplyMessy's approach is perfect imo. It's not acceptable to look the other way.
Agree with you @Claire_MUA. I cannot look the other way. !shocked

LEXI <3

Topic author Germany
lexiglossyxo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:52 am

Hayyleyy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 pm
Do you need to tell her? If she's as "happy as a pig in mud" let her be................. :) It's a different story if she's walking around town with accidental toilet paper flopping from her skirt. That's social embarrassment.
Her makeup is a social embarrassment.

LEXI <3

Topic author Germany
lexiglossyxo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:59 am

AllyMarshall wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 pm
Some people can't handle the truth. You may lose a friend.
So true. If I cannot be honest with her, chances are she is not honest with me.

LEXI <3

Topic author Germany
lexiglossyxo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:01 am

simplymessy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:40 pm
It's very difficult to be brutally honest without appearing nasty. If you soften and speak indirectly to her regarding awful makeup application she may not do anything about it or worse become offended that you're being indirect!

In this situation I wouldn't be direct or indirect. Instead I would say, "look at this excellent YouTube video, it shows the perfect places to apply highlighter." Sit down and do makeup together. Show her how its meant to be done. Be helpful and informative rather than critical and overbearing. :)
I like this idea @simplymessy . I'll order food and bring her to my home for a makeup night.

LEXI <3
Finding Destiny Book by Katrina Hart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic